Thursday, July 19, 2012

GAME Play Artist Interview: Brian Davis ("Right Thing")

My piece explores the intersection of art and gaming by simply stripping away all the superfluous information and distilling the experience of gaming down to a simple question that has many interpretations. I am interested in economy in both art and gaming.

Obstacles in the general acceptance of video games as an art form
are the same obstacles that every new medium has faced gaining acceptance. Good artists and game developers don't care, though, and will continue to make interesting things.

My most emotional reaction elicited by a game was my disappointment when, after playing all the way through Metal Gear Solid 4 on the PS3, I missed the climactic ending scene because I had to pee.

True or False: video games are now more culturally important than they were in the past.
True.

I discovered the merit of video games as an artistic medium after putting in over 100 hours into GTA: San Andreas and realizing how incredibly immersive and reward-driven the experience was.


No comments: