Thursday, July 9, 2009

CHANGING THE FACE OF INDIE THEATER--ONE FESTIVAL AT A TIME

Writer/Editor/Critic Aaron Riccio proclaims a new reviewing policy in reaction to his moving experiences at The Antidepressant Festival.  We knew our theatrical drugs had potency, but damn!

"Congratulations, Brick. Your Antidepressant Festival has successfully anti-depressed me, mainly by reminding me how many good companies there are out there. At the same time, it's also made me more aware of a potential bias on my blog, one of under-representation. The following is an attempt to address that:


------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Artist,


Are you involved in a new, full production--as a writer, director, actor, stagehand, &c.--that you think is good? Is it running for at least a week (four performances)? If so, feel free to send me information and an invite to your show. If I am not already booked, I will come and write about it here. (Be forewarned: I will not pull punches that are squarely deserved.)


Sincerely,

Aaron

-------------------------------------------------------------------


I hope that this will help widen the range of shows that I'm currently covering--the off-off-Broadway beat--so that equal weight is given both to new artists and established companies (and vice versa)."



Thank you Mr. Riccio for your generous coverage and for moving the ball forward for Indie Theater Artists!

The Brick

No comments: